Step 1 – Find the page where you wish to add the pdf or doc file.
It always preferable to use a pdf file format instead of .doc file format. The same steps will apply whether you are adding to a Page or a Post.
- Find the page you wish to edit or Add a new page.
- Make sure you are on the right page.
- Set your cursor on the place where you wish to add the link of the document that can be downloaded.
- Click on the ‘Media’ icon to select the right file. This will open the ‘Add Media’ window.
Step 2 – Select the document (file) you wish visitors to download.
- Find the right file. In this example, the file has already been uploaded to the ‘Media Library’. So all that needs to be done is to find the right file in the media library. You can always upload the file ‘From Computer’ if you have not already uploaded it. See the FAQ on ‘How to Add an Image‘ to learn how to do this.
- Make sure you have the right file.
- Make sure you enter a Descriptive title. This is what will appear on your page or post.
- Add a caption. You can keep the same as your title.
- Add a Description of this file.
- Click the ‘Insert into Post’ button. This will take you back to your page or post.
Step 3 – Back to your Page or Post
- Make sure you are in the ‘Visual’ view.
- This is the link you just added. It can be used to view and download by a visitor.
- Don’t forget to ‘Publish’ your page.
Step 4 – Preview your page
- The download link will look like this. Just like any other link. Clicking on the link will open up the pdf. Your visitor can now view the document or save it by right clicking (this is browser dependent)