In this lesson we are creating a link in a Page or Post. These links only appear in the content of your page or post. To add links to your sidebar you have to use the ‘Links’ option from the Dashboard which is another lesson in itself.
Go to the Page or Post where you wish to create a link
- Make sure you have selected Pages or Posts from the Dashboard.
- And you have selected the right page to create your link.
- Select the ‘Visual’ tab.
- Highlight the text that you wish to create the link on. In this case we wish to create a link to the ‘FAQ’ page of our website.
- Click on the Link icon to create the link.
- If you already have a link then clicking on ‘Un-link’ will delete the link.
The Insert/Edit link window
- If the link that you are creating is a page that already exists in your website, then scroll through the list of pages to find your page. In this case we were creating a link to the FAQ page so we selected the ‘FAQ’ page.
- On selecting the FAQ page from the list, the ‘URL’ gets automatically filled. If this is link to an external Page then you need to enter the link of the external webpage. Also enter a Title eventhough it does not show up on your page.
- The new link can be opened by the user in a new window or in the existing window. If you are linking to an external webpage then it’s better to open the link in a new window so make sure this box is checked.
- Once you are done click on ‘Add link’ for your information to be saved.
- Click on ‘Cancel’ if you want to abort what you were doing.
Back to your page
- Your text will now be highlighted to show that there is a link and user will know that that there is a link to this text.
- Don’t forget to hit ‘Publish’ to save all your changes.