Website Maintenance Protection
(Does my site need it?)
Your site is live. What happens next?
Why you might ask? Well keeping your site updated helps in protecting and keeping your website secure. WordPress regularly puts out updates. Most of these updates are for new features and bug fixes. And usually with these updates they also plug security holes if any.
Websites that were not quickly updated to this version were open to being hacked. And believe me hackers took full advantage of this security hole. In a matter of hours there were over 800,000 attacks exploiting this specific vulnerability. And the attacks kept growing.
Hackers are always trying to break into websites – that’s the world we live in. A website owner’s best defense against this, is to keep their website up to date with the latest version. And of course to always have a backup. 🙂 So if you do get hacked, there is no need to panic, restoring the backup will get you up and running again.
From WordPress 5.5 there is a new auto-update feature. This feature allows website owners to enable ‘unattended’ updates of their websites.
While this feature is great for small websites that have not been updated for months on end, having auto-updated enabled could be just as detrimental as not updating your site. Read more about the risks involved with unattended auto updates.
Is It for me?
Many website owners feel very comfortable maintaining it on their own. And I say more power to you. If you are one of these people then you are good to go.
However, maintaining a site can take time. Time that can be better served working on your business. Or you may just not have that extra time to give your website the attention that it needs. Or maybe you just don’t want the hassle of maintaining and worrying about your website on a regular basis. If this is you then read on.
How we differ from a managed WordPress site?
Most managed WP sites will keep your WordPress site updated. However they might not update your theme or all the plugins your site uses, especially when there are plugins which do not offer a one click update. And if they encounter a problem while applying a new version they just roll back to the previous version and leave you to figure out what to do next. This also means you are responsible if there are any issues during an update.
Our maintenance package includes the update of WordPress, the theme and all the plugins used. This ensures that the maintenance is truly stressfree. If there are issues with old plugins or themes we attempt to work with the theme/plugin provider to see how we can resolve the issue. As we are designers and developers we understand code. And are able to pin point why something is broken. Many times when there are update issues we have been able to offer a solution or fix to the plugin developer.
Sometimes we even take the decision of not updating to the latest version because we feel the version is not yet stable. Let’s take the example of WordPress version 5.0 which was released just before the Christmas break in 2018. Understanding that this was a new big release, instead of updating immediately we waited a month. By which time WordPress had pushed a few more security and bug fixes. This is also why we do NOT recommend WordPress 5.5. auto updates enabled.
All this is possible because we are real people (not some automatic process) thinking and analyzing before blindly updating.
We will never just leave you to fend for yourself.
Our goal is always to go above & beyond and take that extra step to ensure complete customer satisfaction.
Get Peace Of Mind
Here is what our package offers:
- Monthly update of your website. If an update fails or breaks we do not apply that particular update. This ensures that your site never goes down due to an update. Our monthly update includes update of:
- Manually update Themes and Plugins which do not have a one-click automatic update feature. There are many premium themes and plugins that can only be updated by downloading the new version from the theme or plugin site. In such cases we go to the relevant site, manually download the latest version and apply the latest update to your site.
- If a theme or plugin breaks your site, we will file a ticket with the respective vendor providing details of the problem. As developers ourselves we are able to provide vendors with technical details of the issue which ensures that bugs get resolved as quickly as possible.
- Monthly external backup of your website. What this means is that every month we take a backup of your website. We also setup a backup routine on your website server to ensure you website is backed up daily and weekly.
- Setup regular malware scans by installing a WordPress security plugin, if not already present. Also set it up so we get email updates from the security scans. And if needed take action on these scans.
- Take immediate action to update the website when there is a security release from WordPress, theme or plugin(s). And make sure the website is not broken after the update.
- Manually review your website on completion of the update to ensure everything is working as expected.
- Provide a monthly status of what was done and any issues encountered. And discuss ways to work out any update issues encountered.
- We do not outsource the maintenance. All work is done in-house by real people. Our goal is to ensure that updates are as smooth as possible without any stress to you.
- We are always here to answer any of your queries or have an website emergency.
How much does it cost?
For our clients where the website is designed by us, the rates start at $24.99 a month with a one year contract. If we have NOT designed your website, no worries we just need to analyze your website before we can give you a quote.
As not all websites are the same—some sites are e-commerce sites, some are membership sites, and some have special premium plugins. The effort required for maintaining and updating a website differs based on its complexity. That is why we need to look at your website before committing to a price. Contact us with the form below to get a no-obligation quote.
An Additional Bonus for On-demand changes
As a bonus of being a Maintenance Client, you can automatically avail of our special hourly rate on our ‘pay-as-you-go’ plan.
Normally when you need us to make changes to your website such as, adding and/or editing existing content, help in sending out newsletters etc, our hourly rates range from US$90 – US$150.
With our pay-as-you-plan, we offer a much lower, economical hourly rate to our valued clients.
Contact us with the form below to get a no-obligation quote.
Yes! I am interested in the Maintenance Protection
Can I get by with ad-hoc Website updates?
Many people think they can skate through by just updating their site once in awhile. However this just makes it more time consuming and expensive to carry out updates. And don’t forget you are leaving your site vulnerable by not updating regularly.
Just like maintaining that shiny new car, getting regular maintenance for your new website will protect and keep it in top running order.
Not an existing client?
We also do offer our Website Maintenance on websites we have not designed and built. We would just need little more information about your website.
Contact us for more information.