Website Maintenance Protection
(does my site need it?)
Remember when you bought your first shiny new car. It was your most prized possession. However to protect and keep it in perfect running order you had to take it in for regular maintenance. Just like your car, your website also needs regular maintenance and protection.
Your site is live. What happens next?
Yeah! your website is live and you are on your way. However it’s also very important to keep your website secure by regularly updating the site.
Why you might ask? Well keeping your site updated helps in protecting and keeping your website secure. WordPress regularly puts out updates. Most of these updates are for new features and bug fixes. And usually with these updates they also plug security holes if any.
On January 26th 2017, WordPress released version 4.7.2 which contained a security fix for a vulnerability that allows attackers to modify content on a WordPress site.
Websites that were not quickly updated to this version were open to being hacked. And believe me hackers took full advantage of this security hole. In a matter of hours there were over 800,000 attacks exploiting this specific vulnerability. And the attacks kept growing.
Hackers are always trying to break into websites – that’s the world we live in. A website owner’s best defense against this, is to keep their website up to date with the latest version. And of course to always have a backup. 🙂 So if you do get hacked, there is no need to panic, restoring the backup will get you up and running again.
Is it for me?
Many website owners feel very comfortable maintaining it on their own. And I say more power to you. If you are one of these people then you are good to go.
However, maintaining a site can take time. Time that can be better served working on your business. Or you may just not have that extra time to give your website the attention that it needs. Or maybe you just don’t want the hassle of maintaining and worrying about your website on a regular basis. If this is you then read on.
How we differ from a Managed WordPress site
Most managed WP sites will keep your WordPress site updated. However they will not update your theme or the plugins your site uses. If they encounter a problem while applying a new WP version they roll back to the previous version and leave it to you figure out what to do. This also means you are responsible for ensuring the theme and plugins are kept updated.
Our maintenance package includes the update of WordPress, the theme and all the plugins used. This ensures that maintenance is truly stressfree. If there are issues with old plugins or themes we work with the theme/plugin provider to see how we can resolve the issue. We will never just leave you to fend for yourself.
Our goal is always to go above & beyond and take that extra step to ensure complete customer satisfaction.
Get peace of mind
Knowing that your website is regularly updated is the first level defense against hackers. And we understand WordPress pretty well. Hire us and you know your website will be in good hands.
Here is what our package offers:
- Monthly of update of your website. We always first apply all updates on a sandbox site that we create. If an update fails or breaks we do not apply that particular update on the live site. Using a sandbox site ensures that your live site never goes down due to an update. Our monthly update includes update of:
- Manually update Themes and Plugins which do not have a one-click automatic update feature. There are many premium themes and plugins that can only be updated by downloading the new version from the theme or plugin site. In such cases we go the relevant site manually download the latest version and apply the latest update to your site.
- If a theme or plugin breaks your site, we will file a ticket with the respective vendor providing details of the problem. As developers ourselves we are able to provide vendors with technical details of the issue which ensures that bugs get resolved as quickly as possible.
- Monthly external backup of your website. What this means is that every month we take a backup of your website and store it on our servers. We also setup a backup routine on your website server to ensure you website is backed up daily and weekly.
- Setup regular malware scans by installing a WordPress security plugin, if not already present. Also set it up so we get email updates from the security scans. And if needed take action on these scans.
- Take immediate action to update the website when there is a security release from WordPress, theme or plugin(s).
- Manually review your website on completion of the update to ensure everything is working as expected.
- Provide a monthly status of what was done and any issues encountered. And discuss ways to work out any update issues encountered.
- We do not outsource the maintenance. All work is done in-house. Our goal is to ensure that updates are as smooth as possible without any stress to you.
How much does it cost?
For our clients where the website is designed by us, the rates start at $24.99 a month with a one year contract. If we have NOT designed your website, no worries we just need to analyze your website before we can give you a quote.
As not all websites are the same—some sites are e-commerce sites, some are membership sites, and some have special premium plugins. The effort required for maintaining and updating a website differs based on its complexity. That is why we need to look at your website before committing to a price. Contact us with the form below to get a no-obligation quote.
Can I get by with adhoc updates?
Many people think they can skate through by just updating their site once in awhile. However this just makes it more time consuming and expensive to carry out updates. And don’t forget you are leaving your site vulnerable by not updating regularly.
Just like maintaining that shiny new car, getting regular maintenance for your new website will protect and keep it in top running order.
Looking for a Little Extra Support?
Are you looking to get regular support? Need to add content but never have time to get to it?
Need a new page created or maybe a button is to be added or perhaps need help editing exiting content.
We’ve got your back!
The Extended Maintenance Plan will provide you with 10 hours of support annually. And can be used anytime during the year.
Contact us for more information.